Monday, 18 June 2007

The Fourth Estate

RTP! gained a third editor with the fourth issue—myself. I held the post of Assistant Editor for this issue and this issue only. This was because it was my second year at university and I guess I felt I had enough free time to be able to devote some of it to the fanzine. This was helped by the fact that Matt was attending the same university that year as well as a first year. Plus Matt Kamstra and Wade Campbell were having issues (although I was blissfully unaware at the time) and another hand was needed to keep the fanzine going.

My First Editorial:
Another issue, another collection of last minute articles written by a talent-less group of hack writers. To present this assortment of odd pieces I have been delegated to do this issue's editorial. Becoming Assistant Editor (a method by where Wade and Matt do no work but get the credit) has been an incredibly strange learning curve for me, and dealing with Wade and Matt's egos has to have been the largest part of that curve.
But enough of me and my concerns for certain people's mental health. Doctor Who is why we are all here (or at least I hope so - you can never tell with some people) and Doctor Who is what I should be making a pertinent comment upon. But on what? The lack of Doctor Who on television? Perhaps not. Instead I propose to ramble incoherently on various topics, some probably not even remotely connected with Doctor Who in any one of its multitude of forms. The first of these slightly interesting, entertaining and informative topics is the fact that I have managed to write myself out of any space to even provide coverage of one topic in any depth. To this end I will cover one topic in the barest of detail, dwell on shallow points of interest and generally make a fool of myself and my lack or research.
The topic. Instant pudding and its recurrence in TARDIS Tales. Off the top of my head I can only recall one mention of this (no doubt some fanboy with an infinitely sadder life than me will point out those instances that I have missed) which really negates the usefulness of my analysis of its recurrence in TARDIS Tales.
Matt's just informed me I have run out of space to spout my rubbish and so I'll end my brief discourse here. Wade also wishes me to make it known that several of us scored a collection of New Adventures for $1 each.

- Alexander Ballingall
Revenge of the Guff:

Published: June 1998
The Fanzine of the Christchurch Chapter of the NZDWFC
Editor: Wade Campbell, Matt Kamstra
Assistant Editor: Alexander Ballingall
RTP! Logo Design: Jamie Campbell/Alexander Ballingall
Front Cover: Alexander Ballingall
Back Cover: Garry Jackson
Internal Artwork: Wade Campbell, Garry Jackson, Matt Kamstra, Graham Muir
Letters: Brendon Bennetts, Catherine Bertrand, David Ronayne, John Williams [AKA Matt Kamstra]
Page Count: 44
Print Run: 30
Price: NZ$2.50

~ Contents ~
  • [01] COVER
  • [02] CONTENTS
  • [03] EDITORIAL
  • [04] UPDATE
  • [05] WHO?! on the Internet
  • [06] /full page advert/
  • [07] The BOOTCUPBOARD [Letters]
  • [08] FICTION: "Interview with an Umpire"
  • [10] CARTOON: Birdy - In 'A Touch of Enlightenment!'
  • [12] REVIEW [Review of The Green Death]
  • [14] OPINION: Regeneration
  • [15] OPINION: Wade's World
  • [16] REVIEW [Review of the E-Space trilogy]
  • [20] REVIEWS: The Scope/Books from Yonks Ago ... [Reviews of EDAs, PDAs, Telos, and Virgin New Adventures]
  • [23] COMIC: Pulp Who - The Doris Situation [part 3 of 4]
  • [33] ARTICLE: If - The Herdsmen Of Venus
  • [34] FICTION: Iron Heart
  • [36] REVIEWS: James' Corner [Reviews of Dalek story novelisations]
  • [37] /full page art/
  • [38] CARTOON
  • [39] Doctor Who Bullsh*t: 35th Anniversary Bash!
  • [40] Who Farted?
  • [41] REVIEWS: TSV Retrospective [Reviews of TSV]
  • [42] OPINION: Julian Vance Says ...
  • [43] CARTOON: Cyber Guy
  • [44] COVER

No comments: